English Language Institute
The English Language Institute (ELI) at Seminole State is designed for visitors to the United States on student visas who are not applying to the College. ELI courses are based primarily on academic preparation and include an introduction to U.S. culture. ELI students study on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus for 18 to 20 hours each week. For current tuition information, please visit the Language Institute website or call 407.708.2120.
ELI applicants should contact the International Student Office on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus at 407.708.2172.
Only documents in English will be accepted. Translations must be completed by an official body; a notary public does not automatically qualify as a translator. Only original documents will be accepted. Facsimiles and photocopies will not be accepted.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires international students to study full-time, which equals two consecutive semesters of Monday-Thursday classes, at a minimum.
International students who seek admission to the English Language Institute on an F-1 Visa (1-20 A-B) must:
- Submit all application materials to the International Student Office prior to the deadline;
- Complete an International Student Form;
- Submit financial support documents, including:
- A signed bank letter from the student or student's sponsor(s) (as applicable), stating when an account was opened, the type of account and its current balance. It is possible to have more than one sponsor. The sponsor(s) do not need to reside in the United States, nor must they be relatives.
- A signed and notarized Seminole State Affidavit of Support.
- As part of the admissions process, students on an F-1 visa must purchase and provide proof of health insurance from the College's provider prior to enrolling in classes. Coverage must be maintained during their entire period of study. Insurance must be purchased for each academic year.
In addition, transfer students must submit the following:
- A completed International Student Transfer Form;
- Photocopies of all former 1-20's, I-94s (both sides) and passports.