To provide opportunities for instructional, administrative and career support staff to help them improve their professional and work-related competencies or retrain to meet new institutional program objectives.
The purpose of the study or training may be one or more of the following:
- To address department need, job-related study or skill improvement.
- To attain a professional certification or re-certification.
- To update training directly related to job responsibilities.
All Seminole State personnel must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The person must be employed at the end of the activity funded and at the time the reimbursement paperwork is submitted.
- All employees requesting SPD reimbursements for professional study are hereby advised that reimbursements will only occur if funds are available at the time the reimbursement is being processed.
- The SPD committee may grant special consideration to employees who do not meet the full-time or part-time service requirements, provided that the study and training activities are immediately needed for College responsibilities.
- Proof of payment is required for reimbursement. The intent is that reimbursement will be made to employees when the payments are related to personal out-of-pocket expenses, personal loans obtained through financial aid, payments made by family members, the Florida Prepaid College Program, etc. Payments made by federal, state or institutional grants or scholarships (e.g. Pell, Bright Futures) are ineligible for reimbursement. Payments made by other third parties will be approved/disapproved according to the intent of this guideline.
- For full-time employees, the maximum reimbursement per fiscal year for any combination of professional study and travel is $2,500.
- For part-time employees, the maximum reimbursement per fiscal year for any combination of professional study and travel is $1,000.
- Reimbursement is for tuition and certain associated fees that are charged with tuition, such as access fees, capital improvement fees, financial aid fees, student activity fees, technology fees, laboratory fees, health fees and certification fees, incurred by College personnel while enrolled in college credit and non-credit activities. Testing fees will also be covered if the testing is for job-related certifications, such as automotive certification testing for automotive faculty or computer certification testing for networking faculty. Books, organizational memberships, test preparation courses (e.g. GMAT and GRE), testing (other than job-related certification testing), application fees, late fees, convenience fees for charging tuition online, parking fees at institutions other than Seminole State, and third- or fourth-attempt course fees are not included.
- Courses must be completed successfully with a "C" or better (or equivalent). If the course is not successfully completed, please notify the SPD/Finance Office at Sanford/Lake Mary that reimbursement will not be requested.
For college credit courses, transcripts and/or certificates of completion are to be submitted to the SPD/Finance Office at the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus at the end of the course. A certificate of completion is required for non-credit courses and activities. If a certificate of completion cannot be obtained, a brief written verification may be submitted along with documentation from the event. Transcripts and/or certificates of completion are to be submitted to the SPD/Finance Office at the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus at the end of the course.
- Reimbursements must be requested in the fiscal year in which the courses conclude. Payments will be issued for courses ending on or before June 30h, if all documentation is received prior to July 11. However, in the case of courses ending on or before June 30 where grades will not be issued by the institution until after July 11, approved reimbursement will be made and applied to the current fiscal year in which the payment is disbursed.
- The employee must be a current employee at time of reimbursement. All employees requesting SPD Reimbursements for professional study are hereby advised that reimbursements will only occur if funds are available at the time the reimbursement is being processed.