Faculty Recording of Student Attendance (Procedure 4.0900)
|Based on board policy number and Florida Statute: ||Effective Date:
|1001.64 F.S.; Policy 3.060
To provide a process by which faculty can create a record of student attendance.
- Faculty will take attendance in a print recoverable form, such as, but not limited to, grade book, daily attendance log, student sign-in sheet, electronic format attendance, interaction records for distance learning courses, etc. Departments may add additional requirements or designate the format when necessary.
- Faculty will be responsible for verifying the accuracy of class rolls and providing the registrar's office with signed documentation as required.
- Faculty will sign and turn in their course attendance records to their department office at the conclusion of the course. Department offices will retain course attendance records for a minimum of three full academic years.
- Faculty will not add any student's name to the final class roll/grade sheet. If a student has attended but does not appear on the final class roll/grade sheet, the instructor must complete the following steps before the end of the next term:
- Document the student's attendance via grade book, daily attendance log, student sign-in sheet, etc.
- Write a letter of explanation of how this occurred, include the student's grade, and sign.
- Procure signature of approval from the appropriate department chair and dean on the faculty's letter of explanation, and
- Submit to registrar for signature of implementation. The Registrar's Office will contact the student and allow him/her to pay for the course. The instructor's assigned grade for the course will be recorded.
- Faculty may drop students without warning who have been absent ten percent (10%) of the scheduled class or activity time or who are not interactive or responsive in a timely manner in distance learning courses, as determined by the instructor. If a student will be absent due to jury duty, court-mandated appearances, or observance of religious holidays of the student's own faith per SCC Policy Number 3.060, the student must notify the instructor in advance of such absence. If the student asks the instructor to make up work missed, the instructor will provide the student with a written plan with due dates and assignments consistent with the activities missed.
||President, E.Ann McGee