Procedure Surplus Property (Procedure 5.0810)
| Based on board policy number and Florida Statute: || Effective Date:
|F.S. 1001.64; 1001.65; 1013.28
To define and outline a procedure to dispose of surplus property.
- Custodian-the designated college employee who has the primary financial responsibility for the physical custody and use of all college property under their control. The custodian is also known as the department budget manager.
- Property-Equipment, machinery, and furnishings that are statutorily required to be tagged and inventoried by the College.
- Property that is determined by its custodian to be still useable, but not by the current department, will be made available to other departments before formal surplus disposition procedures are implemented.
- The property custodian must prepare and send a Property Disposition Form to the Property Specialist .
- The Property Specialist will determine if, for any reason, the property may be unusable (i.e. unsafe, damaged, obsolete, etc.). Property determined to be unusable will be declared as "surplus" and reported as such at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees. The Property Specialist will prepare a Maintenance Request to have the unusable item immediately set aside pending Board action.
- The Property Specialist will utilize appropriate campus communication methods to notify departments of any usable items.
- If there is no interest in the usable property after a two week period, the property will be determined to be unusable, declared as "surplus" and reported as such at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees. The Property Specialist will prepare a Maintenance Request to have the unusable item immediately set aside pending Board action.
- If a custodian from another department expresses interest in the property, they should make arrangements to view the item and tag them with the new location number. The current custodian will accept the first offer for relocation and use by another custodian and notify the Property Specialist of the new custodian. . The receiving custodian is responsible for preparing a Maintenance Request to have the item relocated.
- The list of surplus property will be periodically submitted to the Board of Trustees. After Board approval, the Property Specialist will dispose of surplus property, in this priority:
- First: By contacting the college's surplus agent for disposition of the items per contracted terms. The Property Specialist will oversee actions taken by the surplus agent to arrange any employee or public auctions that may occur.
- Second: By making items available to other county or city government agencies.
- Third: By discarding the item.
| Recommended by
||President, E.Ann McGee