College Preparation Course Enrollment Guidelines (Policy 4.025)
||Florida Statute 1001.64; 1009.28 FAC 6A-14.030; .031
||10/97; Rev. 12/04
- Students have three opportunities to complete a college preparatory course successfully.
- The first attempt will be assessed at the current cost for a college preparatory course.
- Further attempts will be assessed at the "full cost of instruction" for a college preparatory course which is defined as equivalent to the matriculation and tuition fees charged to non-Florida residents.
- For the purpose of determining when a student should be assessed the full cost of instruction in a college preparatory course, college preparatory courses attempted prior to the fall term of the 1997-98 academic year will not be considered.
- The College may, for extenuating circumstances or financial hardship, grant to students an exception to the full cost of instruction for further attempts to complete a college preparatory course successfully.
- The College defines extenuating circumstances as those circumstances determined by the College to be exceptional and beyond the control of the student. Extenuating circumstances may include, but are not limited to, serious illness, death of an immediate family member, involuntary call to active military duty, English as a second language, learning disability, natural disasters, employment change, and medical condition that prevents completion of the course. Any extenuating circumstance must be documented by the student. Students who withdraw or fail a class due to extenuating circumstances may be granted an exception only once for each class.
- The criteria for determining financial hardship includes, but is not limited to, qualification for federal need-based financial aid. Students with other documented financial hardships may also be considered. Exceptions for financial hardship will be granted only after the student has demonstrated reasonable effort to succeed in the course as documented by the instructor.
- Requests for exceptions to the assessment of the full cost of instruction in a college preparatory course will be decided by the Petitions Committee.