Raiders are FCCAA Atlantic District runners up
Monday, May 3, 2010
Kendall Litton Jensen
Seminole State's fastpitch softball team put up a strong showing in the Florida Community College Activities Association's (FCCAA) State Championship tournament, held April 30-May 2 in Auburndale.
The Raiders cruised through three rounds of the double-elimination contest to emerge the Atlantic District runners up. They were eliminated in round five after suffering two losses to Miami Dade College.
Here are the individual game results:
Friday, April 30
- Round 1: Raiders win 2-1 over Brevard Community College.
- Round 2: Raiders crush Santa Fe College 12-4 in five innings.
Saturday, May 1
- Round 3: Raiders sail past Miami Dade College 8-1 and advance to the Atlantic District Championship. Miami Dade, who suffered their first loss of the tournament, also advances.
Sunday, May 2 (Atlantic District Championship)
- Round 4: Raiders battle Miami Dade for 10 innings but ultimately fall 7-6.
- Round 5: Raiders lose to the Sharks again, this time 8-1. Seminole State is eliminated from the FCCAA tournament and will not advance to the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I Softball Championship.
Gulf District champion Chipola College defeated Miami Dade 14-0 in the FCCAA State Championship game. A complete list of tournament results is available on the FCCAA Web site.
Seminole State's post-season accomplishments come on the heels of a successful regular season, where the Raiders went 16-8 in the Mid-Florida Conference and 39-15-1 overall. The team is ranked 6th in the state coaches' poll and 17th in the nation.
For more information, please visit the Raider softball home page.
Dr. E. Ann McGee, president of Seminole State College, has been elected to the Board of Directors for the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC).Read More »
Four Seminole State College students will travel to Salzburg, Austria, to participate in the Salzburg Global Seminar’s International Study Program May 25-June 1.Read More »
Applications are being accepted for $5,000 scholarships from the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Fund of Metro Orlando.Read More »
Submit a News Story
Do you have a story that you would like us to cover? Send us the info and, if available, a related photo.
Media Relations »