Seminole State College provides library resources and services for distance learning students that comply with the Association of College & Research Libraries' Standards for Distance Learning Library Services and the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights for access to digital information, services and networks.
- Distance learning students can access the Seminole State Library's collection of more than 35,000 electronic books directly from the search box on the library home page or by utilizing the library catalog search. To search for electronic works, use the "Advanced Search" option, and select "eBook" from the "Material Type" drop-down menu. Electronic books are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Distance learners can also access more than 110 databases using the "Search Databases: A-Z" or "Search Databases: By Subject" links on the library home page. A Borrower ID and PIN are required to have full access to the databases.
- Your Borrower ID is the same as your MySeminoleState or Sakai username.
- Your PIN will be the last four digits of your Social Security Number, or in some cases the last four digits of your Student ID number.
If you have trouble logging in, please contact the information services desk at any campus library to ensure that your account is active.
Distance learning students may obtain their Blue & Gold Card via mail. To receive your card, gather the following items and mail them to:
Seminole State College of Florida
Attn: Blue & Gold Card Services
100 Weldon Blvd.
Sanford, FL 32773-6199
- Passport-size photograph.
- Photo must show show full head, front view and open eyes
- Photo should not include sunglasses, hats or other obstructions
- Photo should include only you; nothing else should be visible
- A light background is preferred
- Scan from an original photo (passport photo preferred) at least 2-by-2 inches or digital photo
- Save at a minimum of 200 dots per inch (dpi) in either a .jpg or .tif format
- File size should be less than 4 MB
- Copy of your driver's license
- Student ID number
You will receive your Blue & Gold Card via the U.S. Postal Service to your mailing address.
Distance learners have access to many of the same services as traditional students.
- Use the "Ask a Librarian" inquiry form to contact a reference librarian for assistance. The library staff strives to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours, excluding weekends, non-business hours and holidays. You can also ask questions using the "Library Chat" feature on the Seminole State College Library home page to instantly connect with a librarian, when available.
- As a distance learner, you can have Seminole State library books and articles delivered to you in print or electronic format. To arrange delivery, please contact the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus information services desk at 407.708.2618. For article delivery, contact the resource services staff at 407.708.2342.
Please note: You must complete an Interlibrary Loan request to obtain books and articles that are not owned by Seminole State College.
- Some research assistance is also available through the library website. Please see the following links:
- A one-credit course, LIS 2004: Introduction to Internet Research, is offered by the library each term. The course provides instruction on evaluating information from the Internet, locating free resources online and navigating the electronic resources that are available to Seminole State students.
- Library staff and librarians are available on all campuses during regular operating hours for research, reference and circulation assistance, and for instruction in the use of resources and the library website. Contact your preferred library for more information:
Altamonte Springs Campus
Information Desk: 407.708.4415
Sanford/Lake Mary Campus
Ross Martin, Seminole State's outreach librarian, serves as the liaison for distance learning. Please email him or call 407.708.4415 with any comments, questions or requests regarding the library's services and collections.