|Date Posted||August 25, 2014|
|Job Requisition Number||102334|
|Position Title||ASC Inst Support Specialist - Mathematics (Altamonte)|
|Position Type||CS PT|
|Department||Academic Success Center|
|Pay Benefits and Work Schedule|
|REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: |
- RESUME - must be uploaded and attached to your online application to be considered.
- Transcripts showing date Bachelor' s degree was conferred must be uploaded and attached to your application on or before the closing date to be considered (copies accepted). Requirements also apply to any returning and/ or current Seminole State College employee.
DESCRIPTION: Provides mentoring and tutoring in learning strategies and the college standards for preparatory and college level discipline in the Academic Success Center to ensure mastery of relevant, essential skills and concepts. Campus assignments based on Academic Success Center needs: Sanford/Lake Mary, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs, or Heathrow
1. Tutors currently enrolled college credit or college preparatory students needing academic assistance at all levels of the college’s curriculum.
2. Assists student tutors and assigned faculty with procedures and materials to enhance student success and also provides academic coping skills to students.
3. Assists in promoting activities for the ASC such as orientations, training sessions, and informational procedures.
4. Mentors new student tutors and students with respect to college and departmental procedures and expectations and provides leadership and role-modeling for student tutors as well as students.
5. Assists Instructional Leader and Director in creating and maintaining materials and information relevant to a respective college credit and college preparatory discipline.
6. Facilitates partnerships, collaboration, and interdependence of all areas involved in student success, including instruction, mentoring, tutoring, and advising with respect to the goals of the Academic Success Center.
7. Performs other related responsibilities as required.
1. Bachelor's degree in an academic discipline of Mathematics or related field.
1. Master's degree or above desired, with at least 18 credit hours in the respective discipline.
2. Experience teaching and/or tutoring and mentoring students at the community college level.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES & SKILLS:
1. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
2. Skills in mentoring, tutoring, and instructing students in an academic discipline.
3. Ability to adapt to changing environments and to take on new responsibilities when required.
4. Skilled use of personal computer and Microsoft office programs.
1. Work inside in an office setting.
This description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
|Conditions of Employment|
|Finalists and individuals recommended for employment at Seminole State College may be subject to background investigations and fingerprinting in compliance with Florida Statute 1001.64; and Seminole State College Policy 1.020; 2.020. Criminal background checks and fingerprinting will be conducted for all new employees, and for rehired employees who have had a break in service for one year or more. The Office of Human Resources will determine which background checks shall be conducted for each position, based upon its review of job descriptions and the responsibilities of the position. These include, but are not limited to, positions that have access to money, master keys, security-sensitive areas and confidential information; positions that have the capability to create, delete, and alter records; and positions that are responsible for the care and instruction of children. The College will conduct various types of background checks which may include, but are not limited to: criminal background, credit check, driver's license check, previous employment and references.|
|How to Apply|
|All applicants including employees of Seminole State College must scan, upload and attach "Required" documents to their electronic application to be considered. |
NOTE: CERTAIN FUNCTIONS OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS WORK BEST IN INTERNET EXPLORER.
TO ATTACH DOCUMENTS: On the Careers Home page select the "Cover Letters and Attachments" link, then "Add Attachments" to attach documents. Applicants must include work history even if attaching a resume.
For positions requiring a degree, scan, upload and attach copies of your transcripts showing your name and the date your degree was conferred to be considered for the position (unofficial copies accepted). This applies to internal and external applicants.
|Equal Employment Opportunity|
|Seminole State College is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions against and treatment of employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, gender, disability, military status, marital status, genetic predisposition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable Federal, State or local law.|
Seminole State College of Florida adheres to Florida’s Veteran’s Preference laws by providing preference in hiring to covered job applicants. Moreover, in recognition of the valuable contributions made by veterans, the College also considers any applicant’s military service background when filling job positions not covered by Veteran’s Preference laws.
To claim Veteran's Preference for eligible positions, a copy of your DD-214 form, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty must be uploaded and attached to your application to claim Veterans' Preference.
HOLDERS OF DEGREES FROM INSTITUTIONS OUTSIDE THE USA:
Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States are required to obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts and degrees. Foreign transcripts should be evaluated by one of the organizations approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
This evaluation must be submitted at the time of application. We recommend World Education Services at P.O. Box 5087, Bowling Green Station, New York, NY 10274-5087, telephone (212) 966-6311 or email address www.wes.org. The interview process may be delayed until such a review has been completed.
|Back to the job listing|