When the current process for naming members of the Endowed Teaching Chair Awards Screening Committee began, the vice president of education (now academic affairs) assembled a group of faculty members from an array of academic departments and disciplines who were representative of the varied nature of the College.
New members of the Screening Committee are selected as needed from outstanding colleagues in the vacated area, as suggested by the sitting Screening Committee membership and confirmed by the vice president of academic affairs. They oftentimes are former Endowed Teaching Chair Award honorees.
Beginning in the 2012-13 academic year, the following official membership guidelines and term limits were enacted:
- There are nine full-time faculty members on the Screening Committee.
- The sitting membership of the Screening Committee, along with the vice president of academic affairs, recommend new members from an array of academic departments and disciplines who are representative of the varied nature of the College. Departments include the School of Academic Foundations, Career Programs, English, Health Careers, Humanities, Math, Science and Social Sciences. New members are selected from outstanding colleagues in the vacated area, and are often former Endowed Teaching Chair Award honorees.
- Any Committee member eligible for and accepting a nomination for the Endowed Teaching Chair Awards shall immediately resign from the Screening Committee. A replacement will be selected as defined by the process outlined above, before the Committee meets for the first time to vet nominations.
- Each Screening Committee member is appointed to serve for a three-year term. The first meeting called to begin the annual process shall serve as the first official meeting of the new member’s initial term.
- It is recommended that the terms of the members be staggered so that one-third of the Committee is newly appointed each year.
- A member is eligible to serve for a maximum of two full three-year terms consecutively. After completing two full three-year terms, a member will not be eligible to serve another term on the Committee for one full year.
Committee Officers (Chairman and Vice Chairman)
- The Screening Committee membership shall appoint a chairman at the first meeting of the year to begin the annual selection process.
- A vice chairman shall also be appointed so that a leadership succession plan is maintained. The vice chairman shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the chairman.
- A chairman may be appointed to serve for more than one annual term, provided that a majority of the Screening Committee membership is in agreement.
- Each officer shall hold office until his or her successor is duly appointed.