Certificate Type: VC
Major Code: ECPCOL-VC
This program prepares students who work with children three to five years old in a licensed childcare setting to provide quality care to young children. The program includes, but is not limited to, competencies related to planning of curriculum, health, safety and knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices. At the completion of the program, students receive a staff credential recognized by the Department of Children and Families. This program is equivalent to the National Child Development Associate (CDA).
- Submit a completed Seminole State College application to the Admissions Office;
- Be employed in a licensed childcare setting working with children three to five years old (volunteering is not accepted);
- Submit proof of age (minimum18 years of age );
- Provide official transcript(s) indicating successful completion of a standard high school diploma or equivalent;
- Provide documentation of 40-Hour Introductory Childcare Training Certification with 10-Hour DAP in Preschool;
- Complete a 5-Hour DCF Emergent Literacy course.
Students must complete the following requirements before an Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC) is awarded:
- Complete 480 hours of documented work experience with children ages five years or younger in a licensed childcare setting by the end of the course;
- Successfully pass all three ECPC modules with a passing grade of "C" or higher.
Total program hours: 150
|HEV0800||Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC)|
In this course students will cover developmentally appropriate practices when working with children ages birth through age eight, acquire competence in the areas of creating a successful developmentally appropriate curriculum and lesson plans, developing the ability to motivate children, recognizing cultural differences when planning activities including children with special needs. Professionalism and advocacy will be imbedded within the program to better inform students of the role the early childhood provider plays within the childcare community. Department permission required.