How to Renew
Director Credential Renewal Process
A Director Credential issued prior to January 1, 2004, will have an initial renewal date of January 1, 2009, and every five years thereafter. A Director Credential issued after January 1, 2004, will have an initial renewal date after five years and every five years thereafter.
- The completed application, including all required documentation, must be submitted to the Department of Children and Family Services for review and issuance of a renewed Director Credential Certificate. All applications must be submitted no earlier than one year prior to the expiration date of the active Director Credential.
- The renewal date will be determined by the active Director Credential expiration date. If a renewal application is received after the Director Credential expiration date, the Director Credential Renewal Application will be reviewed, and if approved, a certificate issued with a five-year expiration date, based on the date the completed Renewal Application, is processed.
- An individual with an inactive Director Credential (one that has lapsed) is ineligible to be the director of a childcare facility.
Director Credential Renewal Requirements
- An active staff credential documented on CF-FSP Form 5206.
- Either 4.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)* or, based on the date the application is received, three college-credit hours in any one of the following curriculum areas within the last five years:
- Overview of Childcare Center Management
- Childcare and Education Organizational Leadership and Management
- Childcare and Education Financial and Legal Issues or
- Childcare and Education Programming or
- Coursework completed to renew a State of Florida Teaching Certificate.
Coursework must be in addition to that required for the original Florida Director Credential.
*Additionally, any in-service hours, contact hours or non-CEU hours obtained by attending workshop meeting/training sessions will not be accepted for this purpose. Certificates must specifically state the number of CEUs earned.
- Candidates must demonstrate professional contributions in the childcare field through any one of the following:
- Make a presentation or provide training in the field of early childhood or school-age education.
- Serve as a validator or adviser for a Florida-recognized accreditation program, a CDA adviser or a school-age certification representative for the FCCPC School-Age Program.
- Advocate for an issue in the field of early childhood or school-age education.
- Publish an item related to the field of early childhood or school-age education.
- Document program improvements by completing a Florida-recognized accreditation program.
- Serve as a consultant or mentor to another early childhood education or school age-program.
- Participate in an educational research or innovation project related to early childhood or school-age education.
- Participate in a creative activity, outside of the candidate's childcare program, relating to the field of early childhood or school-age education.
- Serve as an officer or committee member in a professional organization related to the field of early childhood or school-age education.
For information on the VPK Director Endorsement and for requirements regarding experience, visit www.myflorida.com/childcare/training.
Seminole State College is the only facility in Seminole County providing college-credit training for the renewal of the Director's Credential. We offer six credit hours (two courses) for directors to obtain their Advanced-Level Credential. If a director has already obtained the Advanced Level, we offer courses in each of the foundational levels that meet the renewal requirement.
Seminole State offers online and on-site courses that better suit the Director's busy schedule. Classes are small, affordable and readily available. Start your renewal process today!
Seminole State Advanced-Level Director Credential Courses*
- Financial and Legal Issues in Childcare (EEC2527)
- Organizational Leadership and Management (EEC2521)
Other Suggested Renewal Courses for Director Credential
- ARE2002 Art and Creative Expression
- CHD2330 Heads Up! Reading
- EEC1000 Child Growth and Development
- EEC2200 Educational Practices in ECE
- EEC2401 Families and Communities
- MUE2010 Music and Movement
- EEC2930 Selected Studies in Early Childhood Education
* All foundational-level requirements are necessary for the Advanced-Level Credential
Please see the Seminole State course schedule for course offerings at http://www.seminolestate.edu/catalog/courses/. For specific details regarding the director credential renewal, please cal: 407.708.2550.